Sunday, April 12, 2015

One Spark 2015- The life of the Crowd Funding Festival Volunteer


This is the third year that the world's largest crowd-funding festival happened in downtown Jacksonville. Helped run by event director and UNF alumnus, Brent Fine, this start-up company is all about showcasing the best and the brightest in the areas of education, music, technology, social good and health/science. The festival ended today and the winners were announced on social media. I was not able to attend the event the first two years and so I wanted to make sure I understood what all the fuss was about this year. I went to the website, BeOneSpark.com, and found out how to sign up as a volunteer. I decided to be a "creator liasion" and went to the training. My job duties included helping the creators, or contest participants, with whatever issues they may have throughout the five-day festival. It was enjoyable but also tiring to walk for 3 1/2 hours each day and talk to each booth in my designated area. On the last day I volunteered, I was able to help with the 5K in the morning and in the afternoon, help visitors that wanted to vote but needed assistance. More than 50,000 votes were cast and funding goes on for 30 days after the festival. The mobile app worked for most people, but I was surprised at how many people either didn't have a smart phone, didn't want to use space to (temporarily) download the app, or hadn't done updates for the app to work. If this was a true-to-life sampling of the population, I feel safe saying that smart phone users are not as prevalent as we think. Or, at least, not as proficient as we may believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment